You can also download Linux software for example, Download CentOS WSL
The first thing to have is a CentOS on WSL (Windows 10 FCU or above), based on WSldl. Basically, it’s a zip file containing rootfs and some other files. CentOS as WSL Instance is an open source project available on Github, so download it here(https://github.com/yuk7/CentWSL)
Remember to run those apps as Administrtor.
Install app on Centos running WSL:
yum install java-1.7.0-openjdk
There are three operating systems are commonly used for home servers Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. Linux is a more flexible and cheaper option if you are prepared to take on increased deployment overhead, could be to use a Linux home server, Open-source Linux software is available free of charge over the Internet.
You can use a Linux home server:
- As a file server for sharing media with other network devices, including Windows or Mac computers, games consoles, TVs and Smartphones.
- Download content from the Internet and make it available so that network users can access it at any time, for example movies, drivers and etc.
- As host web sites and virtual machines.
Requirement for Linux server except for host virtual machines:
A Linux home server can be installed in older computer, you just need
- A 300 Mhz processor
- 128 MB of RAM
- Enough hard disk space. You are downloading a lot content from the Internet, you may need a Teras
Requirement for Linux server to host virtual machines:
- A 2 GHz processor
- 2 GB of RAM
- Enough hard disk space
There are various versions of Linux Ubuntu 14.4 64-bit or LinuxMCE.
Disadvantage of Linux
No vendor company to offer technical support, when troubleshooting problems, but they are a huge resources on the Internet. Linux has also commercial versions.
Apple Mac OS X server
The Mac OS X server products are comparatively expensive. but MAC OS X Lion Server proidves a cheaper option. With OS X Lion, an upgrade that enables server functionality can be download as an app from the Mac App Store.
OS X Lion server provide services including:
- User account management. You can easily add or remove users. Use permissions to restrict the content that particular users can access.
- Network administration. Enable you to access a home server and network from the Internet using a secure virtual private network or VPN.
- File sharing
- Web services
Requirements for OS X Lion Servers
- An Intel Core 2 Duo or better
- 2 GB of RAM
- 10 GB of hard disk space
Linux is a more flexible and cheaper for home servers.
Window Home Server
Can be used to back up and restore important files on any networked computer. Can acts as firewall also manage the antivirus applications you use on a home network. Enables to monitor the performance of other computers on the network.
Requirements for Windows Home server has similar requirements to a Windows 7 client.
- A 1 GHz Pentium II or better processor
- 512 MB of RAM
- 65 GB of hard disk space.
Is recommended to match the server and client system type, for example if most the client are Macs, a Mac server might be used, but you want to save money in your home system and you may to google to find out when you are troubleshooting an issue, you might be used a Linux server.